Saturday, March 11, 2006

Here's an interesting aspect of Dutch culture.
They seem much more comfortable with death than most.
My neighbour dropped down dead suddenly on the last day of February, while unpacking the car just after a long weekend away. (This is covered in my mini blog, so I won't go into it here.)
From Wednesday until Monday morning, the day of the funeral, his body lay in state in the living room of his house.
And his wife asked if I would video the funeral for her.
Different, indeed.

1 Comments:

Blogger HannahK said...

Video the funeral.. hmm.. not for me either, but I have heard about it.
And I also know about people wanting to have the body at home before the funeral but that is not for me either. That last thing is not typically Dutch though.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home